Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wine Wednesday, On Demand Edition: 3 Italian wines at Trader Joe's

When Econo Man and I moved to Boston, he was delighted to discover that we were within walking distance (OK, it’s a long walk, but still) of a Trader Joe’s that sells alcohol.  I was less excited.  I’m a fan of Trader Joe’s foodstuffs, but I had never lived near a Trader Joe’s that sold alcohol, and my only experience with wines at Trader Joe’s was an acquaintance at Cambridge who was so obsessed with Charles Shaw Cabernet (aka Two-Buck Chuck) that he brought a bunch of bottles back to England with him after visiting his family at Christmas, insisting that this wine tasted like a $50 Cabernet.  For the record, it does not.

But the wine selection at our Trader Joe’s has consistently impressed me.  I had been under the mistaken impression that Trader Joe’s only sold its own brands of wine, but our Trader Joe’s stocks some of my favorite labels, like Hogue Fumé Blanc, Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc, and Cono Sur Carmenere, at absolutely fantastic prices.  And, Two-Buck Chuck aside, I have to admit that some of the bargain-priced labels at Trader Joe’s deliver great bang for your buck.  Here are three Italian wines from Trader Joe’s that Econo Man and I have really enjoyed.

Zonin Prosecco

We served this on New Year’s Eve, and our friends absolutely adored it.  We did too.  Like most Proseccos, it’s a gentle, refreshing, citrusy sparkling wine, one that will appeal to people who don’t usually like champagne.  But it’s also chock-full of flavor and not watery or boring like a few other Proseccos I’ve had.  For $6, this wine earns two huge thumbs up.

Il Valore Sangiovese

I’ve written in the past about how much I enjoy carafe wines, simple reds that are food-friendly and will go with almost any meal.  Italian Sangiovese is one of my favorite carafe wines, and I was delighted to find a $4 Sangiovese on the shelf at Trader Joe’s.

This wine has one drawback: it’s quite “hot,” which is wine-speak for “wow, you can really taste the alcohol!”  This one benefits a lot from some breathing in the glass or being poured through a wine aerator.  But once it’s had some time to breathe, it’s a good everyday carafe wine, not overly sweet or fruity like many inexpensive wines.

Archeo Nero d’Avolo

People.  I cannot believe this wine costs $5.  This smooth, gently fruity, beautifully structured red wine is sippable, approachable, and simply yummy.  I’ve had bottles four times this price that weren’t nearly as enjoyable.  If you see this at your Trader Joe’s, buy it immediately.

[Via http://petitechablis.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment