Monday, November 2, 2009

Love found when you don't expect it

Went to central Cali last week.  I absolutely love the perfect 80 degree Mediterranean climate. I covet these people’s perfect agricultural landscape.   I knew they had vineyards, and orchards, but had NO idea about the olive industry.

While wandering through a farmer’s market with hubby A and the in-laws I spied that unmistakable silhouette;  a bar, row of bottles with pour spouts, and a little stack of cups.  OH! My brain went off, We are in California AND THERE ARE BOTTLES! THERE IS WINE OVER THERE!!!!

I grabbed A’s arm and nonchalntly jerked my head towards the potential wine tasting.  He, being almost as “spidey sensitive”  for finding vino as I am, picked up on my smooth signals and headed towards the setup.

“hello there!” said the woman behind the bottles “what do you know about olive oil?”

Eh?

So we participated in an olive oil tasting.  I’d never done that before, and OH WOW! I LOVE OLIVE OIL!!!

I learned that dark extra virgin olive oil (Rachel Ray’s “EVOO”) and the lighter olive oil have very different tastes.  Additionally, much like wine, different olives make for different tasting products.

Since that tasting I’ve been thinking about using my new knowledge in the kitchen.  Tonight I sauteed some garlic, fresh basil and veggies in “EVOO” and mixed it in with whole wheat Pasta (Something like this).  After dinner A tried to jump my bones in the kitchen.

I think I have a new favorite dish.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment