Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Turning Pittsburgh onto wine: Actual Tasting, part II

While talking with Duane, I was lucky enough to try his wine. I recognize the grapes for this wine are grown in California, not Pennsylvania, so its really not a fair comparison, but here is some good Pennsylvania made wine!

The first wine is a Zinfandel blend from 2008. It smelled of earth and dark berries and had a deep ruby color. The mouth, was lovely. Sour cherry, black and red raspberries bounced around my mouth. The wine was smooth with good balancing acid, and apparently something I wrote down as “bragzy.” I don’t know what that means, but not withstanding, this is an excellent wine.

The second wine was even better! A 2008 Cabernet with a deep ruby hue. The nose was earthy with red fruit and chocolate and the mouth was of cranberry, barnyard, mushroom, earth with a mint chocolate finish.

The efforts put into these wines are phenominal, better wines then I’ve had from the majority of wines I’ve had lately.

Enginehouse 25 Zinfandel Blend, 2008

Rating: B+

Enginehouse 25 Cabernet Sauvignon, 2008

Rating: B+/A-

No comments:

Post a Comment