Monday, October 5, 2009

New York Diner

In a New York Thai restaurant

I dine alone being new to York town

Borrowing conversation from left and right

Bringing no conversation of my own in the fading twilight

As bubbles slowly bubble from a sparkling dollar five glass

I watch from shadows as pretty people come and go as they say excuse me and quickly pass

I am an odd ball I know

Brown monkey nowhere to go

The waiters give me a look best called quizzical

What on the napkin do I scribble

Will the fellow eat and clear in peace start by giving chicken panang a nibble

Will I pay up this after all is west Harlem

Asians don’t tip they have been before on this trip

And I drink and devour

Dinner fine and dine

Watching conversation sparkle up

As sparkling wine goes down

I nod I say people are just the same

Appearances change but they play the same old games

Up when happy when sad they are down

Every big big city every new yet old town

We drink different wines

But then think similar thoughts

Daily joys and same different struggles

That our love and life bought

Wine brings heat to our face

Letting my jacket slip a bit

The waiter slips me a seen it all look

Are you. Serious he thinks you silly twit

Leaving all pretences

I chug wine like we chug beer

Expensive to my sponsors

But hey it brings me cheer

Ole  lady on my left

Drunk college chicks on my right

Smart  dame right across room

Cute Thai waitress completes a pleasant sight

Chug chug chug

We drink sparkling wine

Eating and being merry

Old wine makes new troubles all fine

Now thinking deeper-

In the middle of urban sub arcana

Face to face verbal smacks in your space

Comes a concept called Americana

Passionate adjectives and superlative passions

Americana is an euphemism for monetary nirvana

Nasal voices on my right

Deep bass slightly in front

To my left a wavering voice wavers

Aromatic cacophony my ears take the brunt

Wine slipping down slowly

But hey rising so fast

After effects may disappear soon

But the mellow pleasure promises to last

No comments:

Post a Comment