Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What I've learned about Wine

For years, my formula for choosing wine was composed of two factors: price and packaging. I’d blindly choose a bottle that intrigued me with its label, and always one on the cheap side – but never the cheapest.

Or, I’d latch on to a type I liked – I only liked white for years, and, having tried it in a tasting, the only red I’d drink for years was Côtes du Rhône.

Luckily, over the past year or so, I’ve been able to branch out and learn more of the cues that indicate to me if I will like the taste of a wine. This (still rather basic) level of knowledge was acquired through trial and error, some visits to vineyards in Argentina, and a quick adult education seminar on red wines.

I personally prefer light and fruity wines and using the following cues I can now usually determine from the bottle if I will enjoy the wine.

Oak: Part of the wine making process involves aging of wines, often in oak barrels. The number of times a winery uses a particular barrel varies greatly which affects the taste of the wine. Wines that are aged for a shorter period are generally lighter and have less of that ‘bite’ or what is sometimes called a ‘long finish’, the lasting heaviness on your tongue. Reserva is often a key word used for wines that are aged for a longer period of time.

Cork: There has been much debate as of late weather a real or synthetic cork is better for a bottle of wine. Many people prefer the traditional cork as they like the feel of it and believe that wine can breathe better through this material. However, bottles are occasionally ruined by the deterioration of the cork. Since the type of cork is linked to how the wine is aged,  this can yield some clues as to the taste of the wine.

  • Screw Top – Generally used for more fruity wines
  • Synthetic Cork -Used with young wines, which means the wine was not aged so long in Oak so will generally have a lighter taste
  • Natural Cork – Used to age wine, these are usually heavier and stronger tasting wines

I’ve used these clues to help navigate wine lists in restaurants, and when choosing wine in cellars, and my rate of success in choosing wines I personally enjoy has improved. My own tastes could possibly be described by a real wine connoisseur as unsophisticated – my palate has not yet developed to appreciate good aged wines, and I am still unable to pick out flavors distinct flavors, or describe tastes eloquently,  but I’ve found a place where I can find what I like at this moment. And I’m open to that evolving as I learn more about wines.

What is your favorite type of wine? How do you choose a glass in a restaurant, or a bottle in a shop?

Wine tasting at O.Fournier in Uco Valley, Argentina

[Via http://talesfromtwocities.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment